Litchfield Wrongful Death Attorneys
Compassionate legal services after the death of a loved one in Illinois
Losing a loved one is always a tragedy. However, losing a loved one in an accident is particularly grueling and terrible. In addition to grieving the loss of your loved one, the family is left to deal with the financial and legal aspects of the accident. In your time of need, an experienced attorney can step in and help you through the legal journey.
At Glisson Law in Litchfield, we are here for you after the preventable loss of a loved one. We offer guidance through the legal process, working with insurance companies and all liable parties to secure you the full compensation you deserve for your losses. In our 25 years helping clients, we have secured several multi-million-dollar settlements for wrongful death cases. We can help you too – get in touch with us today.
Who is eligible to file a wrongful death claim in Illinois?
Under the Illinois Wrongful Death Act, the following people are eligible to file a wrongful death action (in order of priority):
- The spouse of the deceased
- The children of the deceased
- The parents of the deceased, if the deceased was unmarried
- The siblings of the deceased, if the deceased had no spouse or children
- The personal representative of the deceased's estate
A wrongful death action is a civil lawsuit that is filed by the survivors of a person who has been killed due to the negligence or wrongful act of another person. The purpose of a wrongful death action is to compensate the survivors for their losses, such as their pain and suffering, lost wages, and funeral expenses.
What damages are awarded in a Litchfield wrongful death claim?
While the specifics of each case can vary, the common categories of damages include:
- First, economic damages encompass practical expenses incurred due to the death. This typically includes funeral and burial expenses, which can be quite substantial. Additionally, any medical bills related to the deceased person's final injury or illness may also be covered.
- Second, loss of financial support is a significant aspect of wrongful death claims. This category of damages addresses the financial contributions the deceased person would have made to their family if they had not passed away. This can include the loss of income, benefits, and other forms of financial support.
- Another important category is the loss of services and companionship. Surviving family members may receive compensation for the loss of services, care, companionship, and guidance provided by the deceased person. This can be particularly relevant in cases involving the loss of a spouse or parent, as it acknowledges the emotional and practical support they provided.
- Some cases may involve compensation for the pain and suffering endured by the deceased person before their death. This aspect of damages is considered when there is evidence of significant physical or emotional distress experienced by the deceased.
- Lastly, punitive damages, although rare, may be considered in cases involving particularly egregious or willful misconduct by the party responsible for the death. These damages are intended to serve as a form of punishment and deterrence.
The specific damages and their amounts can vary widely depending on the unique circumstances of each case, including the extent of the negligence or misconduct involved, and other relevant factors. It is crucial for those pursuing a wrongful death claim in Litchfield to consult with an experienced attorney who can provide guidance and ensure that their rights to fair compensation are protected.
What are the common causes of fatal injuries?
Wrongful death is the outcome when an individual's death is a direct result of another party's negligence, recklessness, or deliberate actions. This event can stem from various circumstances and incidents, with causes including:
- Construction accidents
- Criminal acts
- Boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
These are only a few examples of the many occurrences that can lead to wrongful death. Everyone’s case is unique, so the specific circumstances of the accident and death will determine the legal elements of your claim. It’s important to consult with an experienced Litchfield car accident attorney, who can guide you through the legal process with compassion and ease.
How can a Litchfield wrongful death lawyer help my case?
A wrongful death attorney can help you in many ways, including:
- Understanding your legal rights and options. Your wrongful death attorney can explain the law and your legal options to you. They can help you understand the process of filing a wrongful death lawsuit and what you can expect.
- Investigating the accident. Our wrongful death attorneys can investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your case. This could include interviewing witnesses, reviewing police reports, and obtaining medical records.
- Negotiating with the insurance company. Your wrongful death attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. They can try to get the insurance company to offer a fair settlement for your case.
- Filing a lawsuit. If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, your wrongful death attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf. They can represent you in court and fight for the compensation you deserve.
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or wrongful act of another person, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death action. It is important to speak to a Litchfield attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal rights and options.
Do you have a wrongful death attorney near me?
Glisson Law is located at 111 East Fourth Street, Suite 400, in Alton, IL. We’re only a block away from City Hall, and there is plenty of parking across the street. There’s also a bus stop right outside our office. Glisson Law conducts phone and video conferences when applicable, and makes home and hospital visits if you cannot travel to us.
Respected wrongful death attorneys serving Litchfield, Illinois
The wrongful death lawyers at Glisson Law know that no amount of money can bring back your loved one. However, you can gain both closure and justice by holding the right people responsible for your loved one’s death. Our attorneys demand all the compensation allowed under the law. If you would like to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled attorneys, call or fill out our contact form.