Some of the most common injuries personal injury lawyers see on a regular basis involve the back and the neck. These injuries can have huge implications for victims and their families because they often prevent the victim from returning to work and engaging in their normal activities. For some victims, injuries can be permanent and they will never return to full mobility.
Types of Neck and Back Injuries
Things like truck accidents, workplace accidents, and slip and falls can all cause a wide variety of neck and back injuries. Some of the most common neck and back injuries include:
- Whiplash – Whiplash is very common in motor vehicle accidents. Whiplash occurs when someone’s head suddenly moves backwards and then forwards. Victims offer suffer neck and shoulder pain, and can require physical therapy.
- Neck Strain – When the muscles or tendons in the neck stretch too far, they can cause a strain or sometimes a complete tear. This often causes neck pain, and can require surgery depending on the severity of the strain.
- Herniated or Ruptured Discs – Small disks separate the vertebrae in the spine. Sometimes a certain movement or fall will cause these discs to tear, break down, or completely rupture. This is extremely painful, and people suffering from herniated or ruptured discs can require physical therapy, pain medication, and/or surgery to correct their medical problems.
- Pinched Nerves – There are many nerves running through the spinal column. Sometimes these nerves are put under pressure or pinched by herniated discs and other conditions.
- Bone Fractures – Like all other bones in the body, the bones in the spine are vulnerable to breaking; and, when the bones in the neck and back are fractured, it is very serious. Permanent injuries like paralysis can occur if proper medical care is not provided.
- Spinal Cord Injury – A spinal cord injury is considered any injury to the nerves running through the spinal canal. Injuries to the spinal cord are extremely serious and can cause permanent paraplegia and quadriplegia.
Neck and back injuries are always incredibly frustrating. Victims can be left unable to do even the most basic tasks, which makes them unable to work and care for themselves. For this reason, it’s incredibly important for the negligent parties that cause neck and back injuries to be held responsible.
Neck and Back Injury Lawyers
At The Glisson Law Firm, we go to work for our clients so they can focus on what matters: recovery. Call us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your neck and back injury claim.