Types Of Compensation In Wrongful Death Cases
Families are almost always completely blindsided by fatal accidents. The death of a loved one due to the negligence of another is extremely frustrating. Families will often suffer emotionally and financially for a long time after the accident. While no amount of money can replace a loved one, obtaining compensation from a wrongful death lawsuit can help make sure the victim’s family isn’t left with any financial burdens.
Types of Compensation In Wrongful Death Cases
There are several kinds of potential compensation in wrongful death cases. Some of the most common forms of compensation awarded to the victim’s survivors include:
- Medical Expenses – Most of the time after an accident, the victim will receive some type of emergency medical treatment before passing away. In some cases, the victim might survive for days or even weeks before passing way. Family members can seek compensation for all medical expenses incurred from the moment of the accident to the victim’s death.
- Pain and Suffering – When victims survive an accident for some time before passing away, this often involves a significant amount of physical and mental pain and suffering. Family members can pursue compensation for their loved one’s pain and suffering before death.
- Funeral and Burial Expenses – Even inexpensive funerals can cost several thousands dollars. If a negligent party caused a fatal accident, the victim’s family and loved ones have a right to seek compensation for costs related to the burial.
- Lost Wages and Loss of Financial Support – If the victim of a fatal accident was the breadwinner, the surviving family will continue to suffer economic hardship. However, families can seek compensation for lost wages their loved one would have received had he or she not been killed in an accident.
- Loss of Consortium – This type of compensation is designed to address the loss of love and companionship suffered by remaining family members. Loss of consortium can be significant for spouses and children.
- Punitive Damages – These damages are levied in order to punish the negligent party that caused the accident.
Get Help With Your Wrongful Death Case
At The Glisson Law Firm, we understand how difficult overcoming the loss of a loved one can be. We work patiently with our clients to make sure they understand their legal rights and the steps needed to obtain compensation. If your loved one was killed in an accident, whether on the job or while visiting another’s property, don’t wait to call us to discuss your wrongful death case in a free consultation.