As the temperature drops across the country more precautions need to be taken to ensure safer and smoother car rides. Here is a list of some of the most important things to prepare and ensure before winter sets in:
- Test your battery
Your battery power drops as the temperature drops.
- Check your tire tread
Driving in winter conditions impacts the braking distance — increased traction will allow for safer stops.
- Check the tire pressure
Tire pressures also drop as the temperature drops.
- Check headlights and brake lights
- Check your wiper blades and replace when needed
Ensure your wiper fluid is a quality grade that will not freeze.
- Check the cooling System
- Check oil Levels
In the winter you should be using a thinner oil than normal.
- Ensure the defroster is in good condition
- Try to always keep your gas tank at least half full
In addition to avoid breaking down this will also avoid a gas line freeze.
- Keep a winter kit of supplies in case of an emergency