As the weather starts to warm up more and more people will be riding their bikes as a good form of transportation and exercise. It is important, especially if you’re sharing roads to remember precautions to be taken to ensure a safe ride.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration “There were 857 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the United States in 2018.” There are ways we can prevent accidents like these.
Here are tips to remember for a safe and fun ride:
- Ensure you have a proper helmet
- Check the tires are inflated
- Make sure the bike fits you
- Carry all items in a backpack or strapped to the back of the bike
- Ensure you have reflectors
- Ride one person per bike
- Keep your head up and remain alert
- Plan your route ahead of time
- Wear bright clothing
- Ride in the direction of traffic
- Don’t do anything that may distract from your biking
Follow our next blog for precautions drivers should take to keep bikers safe.