Slip and falls can be very serious! Especially for those older in age. We want to share a few facts about slip and falls that may surprise you:
- For people aged 65-84 years, falls are the second leading cause of injury-related death; for those aged 85 years or older, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death.
According to the CDC:
- Fall death rates in the US have increased 30% from 2007-2016 for older adults
- Each year, 3 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- Over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of a fall injury, most often because of a head injury or hip fracture.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries
- Falls can cause broken bones, like wrist, arm, ankle, and hip fractures
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury
In our next blog we will go over important steps you need to take after a slip and fall occurs.