Vehicle theft is not something many people think about happening often. However the fact is, 3 quarters of a billion vehicles were stolen in 2017 alone adding up to 6 billion dollars.
According to NHTSA, “40.9% of locally stolen vehicles are never returned”.
Many of these thefts however could be prevented with just a few steps taken before leaving your vehicle (NHTSA):
- Take your vehicle’s key; do not leave it in or on your vehicle.
- Close and lock all windows and doors when you park.
- Park in well-lit areas if possible.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle, especially if they can be seen from outside the vehicle.
If your vehicle is stolen,
- Contact the police immediately
You may be asked for your license plate number, make, model, color of your vehicle and your vehicle identification number.
- File a claim with your insurance company within 24 hours.