This is a busy time of year for many people. Now that the holidays are gone, many people are getting back into their regular routines. Despite a return to normalcy, the winter weather can still cause dangerous driving conditions. To help keep the roads safe and prevent car accidents, drivers should follow six driving tips for maneuvering on icy roads.
- Slow Down – Whenever a weather condition affects the roads – like ice, sleet, or snow – drivers should slow down. Driving extra cautiously can go a long way from preventing accidents.
- Leave Plenty of Space – Icy roads can make it difficult for vehicles to stop quickly. By leaving extra space between cars, you can ensure you have enough space to stop if necessary.
- Watch For Black Ice – Even the most experienced drivers can fall victim to black ice. Part of the danger of black ice is that it’s difficult to see, so drivers need to be particularly attentive when driving in extremely cold conditions.
- Know If The Roads Are Safe – Sometimes road conditions are just too dangerous. Before you get behind the wheel, check whether or not the roads are actually drivable. It only takes a moment of time and it could save you from severe roadway accidents.
- Check Your Tires – Winter is tough on tires. Before each trip, make sure all of your vehicle tires have the appropriate tire pressure. Dramatic changes in temperature can quickly affect tire pressure, so never assume your tires are safe to drive on without checking.
- Take It Easy – Don’t accelerate or decelerate too quickly. Both can cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
Driving Safely Is Your Responsibility
Many drivers don’t think much about the decisions they make behind the wheel. Behaviors like running a red light, speeding, or reading a text message while driving seem very innocent. However, the reality is that in less than a second, behaviors like these can have fatal consequences. There is no excuse for reckless driving. If road conditions deteriorate, each driver is responsible to drive with extra caution.
Get Help From An Experienced Car Accident Attorney
At The Glisson Law Firm, we regularly work with car accident victims to help them get complete compensation for their injuries. If you were injured in a car accident, contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. We can help you understand your legal options and pursue compensation on your behalf.