Alton Workers Compensation Lawyers

Alton Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

Skilled legal representation for Illinois employees injured on the job

We work to earn a paycheck so we can pay our bills and take care of our families. If you have an accident while you’re doing your job and then can’t work anymore, what do you do? The state workers’ compensation system is meant to help out employees in situations like this; paying medical expenses and wage loss. However, this system is rarely as simple as it seems and many workers end up fighting for the benefits for which they’re rightly entitled.

This is where the Alton attorneys at Glisson Law come in. For 25 years, we’ve been helping folks just like you navigate the workers’ compensation system and help them get the benefits they need and deserve. Whether you need help filing an initial claim or help appealing a denied claim, we have the information and resources you need to succeed. Get in touch with us today to find out more about how we can help.

What is workers’ compensation?

Workers' compensation is a system providing benefits to employees who are injured or become ill as a result of performing their job. These benefits typically include medical expenses and lost wages, and are paid by your employer or by their insurance company. The purpose of workers' compensation is two-fold:

  • To provide financial support to employees who are unable to work due to job-related injuries or illnesses, without the need for them to prove that their employer was at fault.
  • In exchange, workers release their employers from liability for their injuries or illnesses; i.e. they cannot sue their employer for their injuries.

The Illinois Supreme Court answered the workers’ compensation question in 1956, stating:

…the primary purpose of the Workers’ Compensation Act is to provide employees a prompt, sure and definite compensation, together with a quick and efficient remedy, for injuries or death suffered by such employees in the course of their employment…and to require the cost of such injuries to be borne by the industry itself and not by its individual members.

(O'Brien v. Rautenbush, 10 Ill.2d 167, 139 N.E.2d 222, 226 (1956))

The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act (The Act) has evolved through almost 90 years of legislation and judicial interpretation. It covers almost all employees injured on the job. Our Alton lawyers can discuss your eligibility with you in a free consultation.

What are some of the workers’ compensation cases your firm has handled?

Glisson Law has built our reputation on fighting for injured workers and we continue pursuing these principles today. Just some of our successful results include:

  • Laborer injured when forklift drove over his leg (workers’ compensation and product liability).
  • Laborer who climbed telephone poles for years, repetitive trauma, bilateral knee replacements.
  • Hairstylist, repetitive trauma, bilateral carpal tunnel.
  • Laborer, eye injury, loss of use of eye.
  • Laborer, Ford assembly line, bilateral carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel surgeries.
  • YMCA worker, vehicle drove through building and pinned employee underneath vehicle, significant and permanent injuries (workers’ compensation and third party claim).
  • Truck Driver injured back using a ratchet (case argued and won before Supreme Court of Illinois).

We also represent injured barge workers and help railroad workers with FELA claims.

When we take your case, we work to ensure you secure all the benefits to which you’re entitled. As you can see from our settlements and verdicts above, we are not afraid to go all the way to the Supreme Court to win your case if that’s what it takes to make things right.

How do I file a claim with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission?

Generally, after you’re injured or harmed as a result of your job, you start your workers’ comp case by filing a document called Application for Adjustment of Claim (Application for Benefits). There is no filing fee, and the forms are provided free of charge by the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. You may want to start the process by consulting with an experienced attorney, especially if your injuries or illness are severe.

In addition to the requirement of notice, you must file your claim with the Illinois Workers Compensation Commission within two years from the last date of compensation, or three years from the date of the injury, whichever is later.

How much time do I have to give notice to my employer about my injury?

Give notice of your injury to your employer immediately. Under the Act, an injured employee must give notice to their employer as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days after an accident or injury on the job. The notice must give the approximate date and place of the accident.

Our lawyers advise giving notice immediately, as well as seeking prompt medical care to document that your injury happened at work.

Glisson Law Team at Work

Can I file a lawsuit if a third party injures me on the job?

Yes, and you can do this in addition to your workers’ comp claim. A third party would be someone who is not a co-worker or your employer. An example of a third-party claim would be if you were driving your work vehicle and were injured in a car accident caused by another driver. When the negligence of a third party causes your injury, you have a claim against that third party in addition to your workers’ compensation.

Our Alton attorneys can explain more about how this works.

Good To Know: “There are some circumstances in which an employee can still sue an employer for an on-the-job injury or illness for various reasons, including: If the injury was intentional on the part of the employer, or if the injury was outside the scope of the worker's job assignment.” [The Balance]

What types of damages are available in a workers’ compensation claim?

The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act provides injured employees three primary damages, including lost wages, medical bills and permanent disability.

  • Lost wages include Temporary Total Disability (TTD) and Permanent Total Disability (PTD). Temporary Total Disability refers to a temporary condition occurring immediately after the accident, at which time the injured employee is totally incapacitated by their injury or illness. You can think of this as the healing process. Workers’ wages are calculated at two-thirds of their average weekly wage. You can find Statewide Average Weekly Wages (SAWW) on the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission website.
  • Regarding medical treatment, the employer must pay for all emergency treatment, plus related hospital and physician expenses. However, there is a limit on the number of physicians an employee may choose (more on that in a moment).
  • If a worker sustains permanent injury, some employees are able to return to regular work but with limitations or restrictions. This is referred to as Permanent Partial Disability (PPD), and may receive additional benefits. These calculations also consider your wage rate in the final calculation of Permanent Partial Disability.

Can I choose my own physician in my workers’ comp claim?

All emergency care related to a work injury is covered by workers’ compensation. However, under the conditions of the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, an employee is limited to their independent choice of two physicians. Either of these physicians may refer the employee for other medical treatment as well.

Glisson Law Team Members

Do you have a workers’ compensation lawyer near me?

Glisson Law is located at 111 East Fourth Street, Suite 400, in Alton, IL. We’re a block away from City Hall, and you can find plenty of parking across the street. There’s also a bus stop right outside our office. Glisson Law conducts phone and video conferences when applicable, and makes home and hospital visits if you cannot travel to us.

Alton workers’ compensation attorneys protecting injured employees

If you were injured in a work-related accident, the attorneys at Glisson Law want to help. We can help you work through the complicated workers’ compensation process, and advocate for your best interests. If your benefits are denied, we’ll fight for you. If the insurance company offers you less than you deserve, we’ll demand proper compensation. To schedule a free consultation, call our offices or fill out our contact form today. We proudly serve workers in Belleville, Edwardsville, St. Clair and Madison County, and all of Southwestern Illinois.