As we prepare to ring in the new year we want to remind everyone how important it is to wear your seatbelt.
“In 2017 alone, seat belts saved an estimated 14,955 lives”
Here are five seatbelt facts to enforce the importance of staying buckled up:
- Seat belts are the number one way to reduce deaths and injuries in car crashes.
- Air bags are meant to work with seat belts. In fact, without using a seat belt an air bag could injure you in a crash rather than helping (NHTSA).
- If you buckle up in the front seat of a passenger car, you can reduce your risk of: Fatal injury by 45% (Kahane, 2015), Moderate to critical injury by 50% (NHTSA).
- Young adults are less likely to use seatbelts than older age groups. Men are less likely to use them them women (CDC).
- Someone not wearing a seatbelt is 30 times more likely to be ejected from their car in an accident (CDC).
Stay tuned for our next blog on seatbelt guidelines.